Online reference works
An alphabetic list of essential online reference works within Life Sciences. See also Dictionaries.
Animal health and Production Compendium
Animal diseases, pathogens, disease vectors, livestock and poultry species and breeds.
- Datasheets providing key, concise information on diseases, pathogens, vectors,
and livestock species and breeds. They incorporate:
- Informative text and data provided by leading world experts
- Disease distribution data from OIE (World Organisation for Animal Health)
- In-country breed information from DAD-IS (FAO’s Domestic Animal Diversity-
- Global and regional maps from underlying geographic databases
- Clinical information from Consultant, a leading diagnostic support system, by
- permission of Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine
- Extensive Electronic library – Sourced from over 15 reputable publishers, the AHPC’s electronic Library includes books, book chapters, reports, articles, expert systems, annotated slide shows for presentation or self-teaching, and classifi ed and indexed Internet links
- Drugs database – collated dataset of generic and proprietary drug and vaccine names and information, sourced from fi ve different continents
Crop Protection Compendium
Plant protection, crop pests, diseases, weeds, invasive plants and natural enemies.
- A simple, step-by-step diagnostic tool to aid in the identification of pests by symptoms, crop or country and identification keys to specific pest groups including fruit flies, beetles, nematodes and weeds.
- An International Database of Seedborne Diseases.
- Data on the economic impact of harvest losses for 11 major crops.
- Pest distribution data from the EPPO (European Plant Protection Organization) PQR
database, CABI/EPPO maps, IPPC (International Plant Protection Convention)
- Official Pest Reports, and other sources
- Statistics on crop production (by crop and country) and land use from FAOSTAT,
Demographic and economic data supplied by the World Bank
Descriptions of Fungi and Bacteria
For plant pathologists and veterinary and medical mycologists - more than 1600 sheets have been issued, each devoted to a single species.
Distribution Maps of Plant Pests
The distribution of plant pests of economic or quarantine importance – over 690 Pest Maps.
Encyclopedia of Animal Science
Subjects include Animal behavior ; biodiversity ; biotechnology ; animal husbandry ; animal welfare ; nutrition ; fiber and integument resources from animals ; food resources ; food, genetics; taxonomy ; physiology; reproduction, growth and development ; zoology ; ecology.
Encyclopedia of Pest Management
Subjects include: Pest and pest management in crops and livestock ; insect pests ; weed pests ; plant pathogens ; vertebrate pests ; crop, livestock, and stored-food losses ; biological, cultural ; and mechanical pest control ; pesticides ; biocides ; semiochemicals, social, ethical, and economic aspects, issues and debates ; biochemical, ecological, behavioral, environmental, climatic interactions.
Encyclopedia of Plant and Crop Science
Subjects include: Plant developmental stages ; Growth ; Agronomy ; Plant physiology ; Pests of plants ; Plant diseases ; Plant soil relations ; Plant water relations ; Plant breeding ; Cropping systems ; Plant protection.
Encyclopedia of Soil Science
Subjects include: ISRIC-World Soil Information ; root growth and agricultural management ; nitrate leaching management ; podzols; paramos soils ; water repellant soils ; rare earth elements, tillage ; irrigation ; erosion control ; minerals ; ground water, and soil degradation ; outlines the agricultural, environmental, industrial, and cultural components that affect soil productivity.
Encyclopedia of Water Science
Water-supply ; water in agriculture ; irrigation ; water management ; water resources ; hydrology ; regulations ; water use ; precipitation ; plant water relations ; groundwater pollution ; soil water.
Worldwide coverage of tropical, subtropical, temperate and boreal tree species of major economic importance, and lesser-known species of local importance. It now also covers, in detail, many of the pests that damage these trees.
- A single resource with fast and easy navigation between text, images, maps and
- A species selection module which aids decision-making for selecting suitable species to use in trials on particular sites and for particular uses.
- Tree Seed Suppliers Directory supplied by the World Agroforesty Centre
Statistics from the FAO (Food and Agricultural Organization of the U.N) on land use
and forestry, and from USDA-FAS (United States Department of Agriculture -Animal and Plant Health Inspectorate Service) on forestry production, import and export.
ISI Journal Citation Reports
Find the most cited journal within your discipline.
Handbook of Chemistry and Physics: 2011-2012 (92th ed.)
Content: Basic Constants, Units, and Conversion Factors ; Symbols, Terminology, and Nomenclature ; Physical Constants of Organic Compounds ; Properties of the Elements and Inorganic Compounds ; Thermochemistry, Electrochemistry, and Kinetics ; Fluid Properties ; Biochemistry ; Analytical Chemistry ; Molecular Structure and Spectroscopy ; Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics ; Nuclear and Particle Physics ; Properties of Solids Section ; Polymer Properties ; Geophysics, Astronomy, and Acoustics ; Practical Laboratory Data ; Health and Safety Information ; Mathematical Tables ; Sources Of Physical And Chemical Data ; Tables Removed From Older Editions ; Index.
Landolt-Börnstein Group I - VIII:
Group I Elementary Particles, Nuclei and Atoms
Group II Molecules and Radicals
Group III Condensed Matter
Group IV Physical Chemistry
Group V Geophysics
Group VI Astronomy and Astrophysics
Group VII Biophysics
Group VIII Advanced Materials and Technologies
Lecture Notes in: Computer Science, Control and Information Science, Mathematics, Physics
NIST Chemistry Webbook
Oxford Reference Online
Over 170 fully-indexed, cross-searchable dictionary, language reference, and subject reference works published by Oxford University Press. Access to bilingual dictionaries (english, french, german, italian, spanish etc.)
The prokaryotes, a handbook on the biology of bacteria Vol. 1-7
Database of organic and inorganic chemistry.
Search system for chemical compounds, bibliographic data, chemical reactions. Contains the organic chemical database Beilstein and the inorganic Gmelin and chemical patent databases. Download user guides here>>
Quantities, units and symbols in physical chemistry, 3. udg. International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry
Science of Synthesis: Houben-Weyl Methods of Molecular Transformations
Scientific and Technical Acronyms, Symbols, and Abbreviations